Sunday, March 8, 2009

More on electrolytes

I found some info on this:
http://www.causeof.org/electrolytes.htm
Don't you love the internet? The answer to your questions with just a few clicks...basically the unscientific explaination is that electrolytes are minerals. We have certain minerals in our body that need to be maintained (like sodium, calcium, potassium, etc.) and lots of exercise or dehydration can deplete these. There are also recipes on the internet of how to make your own electrolyte drinks, which would of course be less expensive, and avoid all the artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, etc. They all have different ingredients and different amounts so it's hard to say what's best. Wouldn't it just work to drink to drink some lemonade with a pinch of salt (sweetened with a little honey)? I guess it might depend on what your intent was? If you had a 24 hour bug, and needed to stay hyrdrated, you could sip on tea with a little honey and a pinch of salt?

My husband, on the other hand, thinks that if he is sick, he MUST drink Pedialyte. It WILL make him feel better. I actually know quite a few Latinos (here in the States) who say this (not my Colombian friends, but people from Mexico/El Salvador/Honduras)...is this a cultural thing? I don't think it's the best thing for him, but I can't convince him otherwise. :) I guess there are worse things he could take...

Well, I am glad to have learned something. To my friend H, will you post your LaborAid recipe (it's pretty much the same thing, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!