Saturday, March 7, 2009

But it has electrolytes!

I just finished watching the movie Idiocracy on TV. Stupid movie by the way. Two people are put into hibernation, and accidently forgetten until 2500. Evidently, all the smart people have been thinking before having babies(their careers, their finances, etc, until whoops they can't), while the not so smart ones don't, and end up reproducing like crazy....after generations of this, humanity ends up completely idiotic, hence the name of the movie. The only redeeming moment is when the protagonist is trying to convince the people that they should water the plants with water, not a gatorade type substance. Their response is quite ridiculous, which is what makes it funny. "But it has electrolytes!" "What are electrolytes?" he responds. "It's what plants crave."

Who the heck knows what electrolytes are anyway? Just that they are supposed to be good for you. In my opinion, just another marketing ploy to get people to think they need something because it's supposedly good for them. Has anyone else noticed all the advertising lately? It seems like you can sell any piece of crap as healthy if you just add something to it... a vitamin, probiotics, whole grain. No matter that the product is not healthy for you in the first place.

Here's one advertisement that really bugs me, to give an example. Sunny D. It has vitamins. And some other bologna about being a good mother or being with your kids all through the day. Whatever! It's sugar water with artificial colors and flavors and preservatives, and who knows what else. I don't care how many vitamins you put in it, it is NOT healthy. When I was teaching, I had students that seriously thought it was good for them. Let's just say we used that as an opportunity for learning...

Well I am not being duped! I try to stay away from foods in boxes or cans to begin with, buying things in their natural form (or close to it). Fruits, veggies, meat, grains(whole grains most of the time, and unprocessed if I'm being really good). When I do buy stuff from a box or jar (which I do buy some), you better believe I read my labels and try to stick to stuff I can pronounce (organic products do a good job of that, but there are some all natural ones that do a pretty good job too).

I have to say that I am completely astonished at what I see people buy when I go to the regular grocery store (as opposed to the health food store). Sometimes not a single vegetable. Frozen and prepared foods. Soda. Candies. It is no surprise to me that the acronym for the Standard American Diet is SAD!

"But it has electrolytes!" Media sends a lot of messages about what we should be eating. Do your own research. Make your own conclusions. In the end, it's your body and what you put into it will determine what you get out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog when I was trying to figure out the name for the movie Idiocracy. I am finally happy to hear somebody else, besides my husband, tell it like it is. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy and that I must be the strange one being suspicious of various foods that claim to be good for us. I started boycotting all foods with sugar (unless they were supposed to be sweet, like a dessert dish) because it was ridiculous at how much sugar was in various foods. Don't know why my soup needed sugar, or lunchmeat. I have since become a vegan, but at the time I began my boycott I was eating meat. Anyhow, sorry for the long winded reply, but it's refreshing to hear somebody having the same issues with things that I do. I also worked in a school and so many of the kids thought that the Monster drinks were healthy because they contained vitamins, argh!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!