Sunday, January 18, 2009

Movie Review: The Girl in the Cafe

This movie is about a man and woman who meet in a cafe by chance. They form a friendship which turns romantic. It starts a little slow, and their conversation is horribly awkward. Eventually she goes with him on a business trip (he is a politician) and there she has a chance to break the norms and be a voice for the poor.

At the end of the movie there is a quote by Nelson Mandela, "Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be the great generation."

So, I have been thinking about the status quo. What is our status quo for life? To have a job, a spouse, a house, a car, to raise kids, etc, etc. How often do we just settle into the flow? We do what everyone else is doing, never questioning if we should be doing something different. We are just living what is normal (well, if you call the experience of the minority in this world normal). But, what if normal is messed up? Ignoring poverty, ignoring our planet to achieve our goals...We are living "normal" when we could be living to transform and restore the world around us.

Tonight I am thinking about my footprint on this Earth. I am thinking about my impact on the planet - on it's environment and it's people. Some of what I am and do is "normal" and some of me is looking for a better way. I don't want to ignore poverty or the planet to meet my goals. I want to live a life that will transform and restore. What about you? Will you settle for "normal"? Or will you break the norms and look for a better way?

1 comment:

  1. Happy Inauguration Day!

    What a perfect post for me to read today. Very inspiring! Thanks for getting my gears turning.

    I don't know the answers to your questions... how can I better break away from some of societies go-nowhere complacent attitudes?

    I'm going to go think about it while I fold the laundry.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!