Friday, January 2, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

Today I want to post about where I am on my path to becoming a greener me. Here's my list:

- CFL's - Have you replaced your lights yet?
-Recycling - I am recycling as much as the city will let me. Hopefully, they'll continue to add more to the list of what is accepted.
- Buy Used - I try to buy second-hand stuff instead of new.
- Don't Buy - Even better than buying used is not buying at all. I always try to ask myself befrore I buy something, "Do I REALLY need this?"
- Cloth Bags - Use cloth bags when you buy.
- Cloth diapers - Really soooo easy. I really don't understand why more people don't use them. It's a rather small investment (of money and time) and it's soooooo much better for the environment and baby's bum.
- Buy organic - As much as possible I buy organic foods, though I don't buy organic meats(I get all-natural). This is not only better for your family (less chemicals), but it invests in a system that is protecting the environment.
- Buy local - As much as I can, I buy from local farmers. I walk to the Farmers' Market in the warmer months. I have bought meat locally as well, but you really need a big freezer to do this, and for now, we do not.
- Reusable products - No more paper plates at our house. To eat we use only glass plates, cups, and our silverware. It's not hard to start the dishwasher a little more often.
- Cloth napkins - Yes, they are stained, but that's because we use them! I would like to get some darker colored ones too because I don't usually use bleach. Maybe I'll find some this summer at a garage sale.
- Towels - I do have one roll of paper towels stashed away, but I can't remember the last time we used one.
- Green cleaners - I will have to post the recipes here. So much cheaper than store bought, and much better for the environment.
- Reusable water bottle and home water filter - No bottled water here. No plastic water bottles either (they leach chemicals that are not good for you).
- Low maintenence, chemical free lawn care - Ok, so I don't have much of a lawn, but even if I did, I would plan the space to make it a practical, usable space that doesn't need a lot of upkeep.
- Eco-friendly clothes detergent - We use Charlie's Soap.
- Think small - smaller house, smaller car, etc. We currently live in a small, probably 700-800sq. ft. place. It's a good way to conserve on utilities, and leave a smaller carbon-footprint.

Did I forget something? Probably. I'll just add it on later, I guess.

Though it's not easy being green, it's important. We might not see the damage we are doing yet, but all too soon we will, and I hope it's not too late! Is there something on this list you could try?

2 comments:

  1. good post! I'd be interested in your recipes for cleaners. have you ever made your own laundry detergent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. It's on my list of things I want to try, but I'm using cloth diapers and a lot of soaps leave a residue that causes them not to get as clean, so I may try that when we are done with diapering at my house.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!