Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just don't tiptoe.

I read a quote today here, that got me thinking. I'm not sure who said it, but I sure like the message: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

It also reminded me of a similar quote I heard from Shane Claiborne once. I remember he was quoting someone else, but I didn't get that written down. I was taking notes, so I'm not sure I got it exactly, but he said this: "All around you, people will be tiptoeing through life just to arrive at death safely. But dear children, do not tiptoe. Run, hop, skip, dance. Just don't tiptoe."

After reflecting on them today, I have a few things going through my mind.

* Life is not without risk. My daughter while at play, often falls and scrapes her knees, and gets dirty and sometimes hurt. Luckily, she has people who love her to scoop her up into their arms, brush her off, and encourage her to continue. Yes, she might fall again. She might be covered in dirt by the day's end, but her childhood days are filled with giggles, exploration, and joy.

* Faith should control our actions, not fear.

* The journey will end. 100% of people die. I'm know I have done some "tiptoeing." But I am sure that I want my life experiences to work toward more than just "arriving at death safely." I want a life with a spiritual depth, an inner peace, a contagious joy, and some dancing and skipping sounds good too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!