Monday, June 1, 2009

Garden First Fruits

A few days ago I was able to pick the first few things that were growing in my garden. One "easter egg" radish and a little basil. The basil immediately went into some chicken and rice for dinner(with shredded carrots and red peppers, yum!), and the radish is still in the fridge...I don't eat radishes, and my husband decided that it "looked funny." Ha! One day I will convince him to try one, either that or I will be giving away the radishes this summer. :) Anyway, I was just happy that something was growing. I had a hard time getting results from the stuff I started from seed. I think it is because I am not able to get over there often enough to water. That won't be a problem soon because I hope to be living over there by next month! The chard is doing well, and so is the bok choy. There is some cilantro (about half of what I planted), and just a few radishes. No spinach, no brocoli, no cauliflower, no cabbage, no carrots, and no green onions. Darn! There's always fall to try again. Many of the peas have been eaten by rabbits, so we'll see if there any left for us!(Same with the strawberries.) The summer stuff is growing well. I have some melons sprouting, some zuchini, the transplants I bought from the Farmers' Market of tomatoes, peppers, and basil are doing great! I hope that things continue to grow well, and maybe we'll have some fresh produce soon!

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you have a garden! I would like to start one, but I can't really do one outside my apartment:-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!