Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'm rich!

Not really. At least not in dollars by US standards. I am referring to the many other things that make life rich and full of joy. I read this a while back (from Melinda on One Green Generation) and really liked how she said it:

"The simple living movement has done an amazing job of redefining personal wealth. No longer is wealth about money or material possessions, it is about living a nurturing, filling, and happy life. Many people add more layers to the simple lifestyle, so that it is also about becoming debt-free, living an environmentally-sustainable lifestyle, and working toward social justice.

Wealth comes from a richness of relationships, flavors of fresh homemade and homegrown food, being within and a part of nature, contributing more good to the world, and deliberately paying attention to and fulfilling the needs of your self and those around you. It’s a beautiful, selfless, and self-fulfilling life."

In a culture that's all about making and spending money, we need to redefine wealth and our concept of what's enough. Especially as I think of the imprint my life leaves on my daughter. I want her to value things that can give her life meaning and make a positive impact on the world.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen! I'm hopeful that these winds of change can help redefine what development and transformational work in the 2/3rds world looks like too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, so if you are reading this, say hi!